Chief of department: Shestakov Evgeny Andreevich, M.D., Ph.D., associate professor.
The Department of Transfusion Medicine, as an independent unit of the Pirogov Center was founded in 2006.
The purpose of the transfusion service is to ensure the quality of transfusion therapy.
The principle of the transfusion service is blood preservation. We try to save both the blood of our patients and the blood of donors.
The department carries out:
- Preparation of doctors and nurses for clinical transfusiology, including transfusion of blood components and preparations, blood substitutes; prevention, diagnosis and treatment of posttransfusion complications; definition of group and Rh-blood accessory; carrying out compatibility tests before transfusing the blood components to the patient.
- Monitoring compliance with the requirements of regulatory documents for the use of blood, its components and drugs, blood substitutes.
- Methodical guidance and control of doctors in structural units.
- Carrying out autohemotransfusions of blood and its components.
- Introduction of a new transfusion medium into a complex treatment program for patients.
- Development of standards (protocols) of transfusiological care institutions in conjunction with leading specialists of the Pirogov Center.
- Analysis of data on the need for components and preparations of blood and its satisfaction from the receipt from various sources.
- Providing counseling services to physicians in treatment departments during transfusion therapy and, in the event of posttransfusion reactions and complications, their diagnosis and treatment.
- Accounting for all cases of posttransfusion reactions and complications (as well as prerequisites for them), study of the causes of their occurrence and organization of measures for the prevention and treatment of these complications.
- Provision of treatment units with components and preparations of donor blood.
- Interaction with blood service organizations to ensure the effectiveness of transfusiological care for patients.
Scientific and educational activities
- Evidence-based transfusiology in a multidisciplinary clinic.
- Managing the donor potential.
- Hemapheresis and blood components management.
- Quality management in blood service.
- Extracorporeal hemocorrection.
- Department of Transfusiology and Blood Transfusion Problems of the Institute for Advanced Training of Physicians of the National Pirogov Medical and Surgical Center.
Address: 105203, Moscow, Nizhnyaya Pervomayskaya str., 70
Contact phone number:
How to reach us by using public transport
“Pervomaiskaya” metro station (last carriage of the train out of the city centre). From “Pervomaiskaya” metro station by any tram or trolley bus go to the stop “15th Parkovaya Street”. Go along the 15th Park Street to the intersection with the Nizhnyaya Pervomaiskaya Street, turn left and walk about a hundred meters to the entrance of the Pirogov Center.