Chief of department: Vasilashko Victor Ivanovich, M.D., Ph.D., thoracic surgeon, associate professor.
The main direction of the department is the provision of high-tech medical care for diseases of the chest, aorta, arteries and veins.
The backbone of the department was formed by the medical and nursing staff of one of the oldest medical departments of Russia, the thoracic department of the faculty surgical clinic and the Research Institute of Thoracic Surgery of the Sechenov University, and experienced surgeons — graduates of the Military Medical Academy.
More than 700 operations are performed annually with a minimum of complications — no more than 1%. The department performs all types of surgical interventions of the thoracic and vascular profile.
The department treats patients with various diseases of the aorta, main arteries and veins. One of the priorities is the treatment of atherosclerotic lesions of the aorta and the main arteries of the head, upper and lower extremities.
Minimally invasive technologies are widely used (up to 70% of thoracic operations are performed using videothoracoscopy). Maximal preservation of pulmonary tissue can be achieved with a neodymium YAG laser, which is especially necessary when many metastases are removed from the lung.
The capabilities of the Pirogov Center, the largest Russian multidisciplinary medical institution, allow the patient to be prepared and perform surgery in the presence of serious concomitant diseases such as diabetes mellitus, coronary heart disease and many others.
Types of surgical interventions of the thoracic profile performed in the department:
- Thoracoscopic biopsies of the lung and lymph nodes of the mediastinum.
- Thoracoscopic removal of tumors and cysts of the mediastinum, including thymectomy in generalized myasthenia gravis.
- Thoracoscopic surgery for spontaneous pneumothorax, palmar hyperhidrosis, emphysema, pleurisy.
- All types of operations for benign and malignant neoplasms of the lung.
- Complex treatment of cancer and metastatic lung tumors, including lung resection with neodymium YAG laser.
- All kinds of operations for oesophageal tumors and diverticula.
- Reconstructive surgery of the trachea and bronchi, including surgery for tracheal stenosis and tracheoesophageal fistulas.
- Surgical treatment of hernias of diaphragm.
- Surgical treatment of echinococcosis and other parasitic lung diseases.
Types of angiosurgical care:
- Prosthetics of the abdominal aorta.
- Resection of aortic aneurysm with prosthetic visceral branches.
- Aorto-femoral bypass.
- Ileum-femoral bypass.
- Femoropopliteal bypass surgery.
- Decompression of the celiac trunk.
- Profundoplasty (plastic deep femoral artery).
- Carotid endarterectomy (classical and eversion).
- Carotid-subclavian shunting.
- Formation of a constant vascular access for hemodialysis.
- Arteriovenous fistulas surgery.
Types of phlebological care:
- Endovenous laser obliteration.
- Radiofrequency obliteration.
- Foamy scleroobliteration of veins.
- Compression microsclerotherapy.
- Combined phlebectomy.
- Deep vein stenting.
- Surgery for thrombophlebitis of superficial veins.
- Surgery for deep vein thrombosis.
- Implantation of temporary and permanent cava filter.
- Venous thrombolysis.
- Reconstructive and corrective surgery for postthrombotic disease.
- Operations with arteriovenous dysplasia.
Address: 105203, Moscow, Nizhnyaya Pervomayskaya str., 70
Contact phone number:
How to reach us by using public transport
“Pervomaiskaya” metro station (last carriage of the train out of the city centre). From “Pervomaiskaya” metro station by any tram or trolley bus go to the stop “15th Parkovaya Street”. Go along the 15th Park Street to the intersection with the Nizhnyaya Pervomaiskaya Street, turn left and walk about a hundred meters to the entrance of the Pirogov Center.