Chief of department: Melnichenko Vladimir Yaroslavovich, chair of the department of hematology and cellular therapy, M.D., professor.

Alexander Aleksandrovich Maximov (04.2.1874 - 04.12.1928)

The department of hematology, chemotherapy and bone marrow transplantation is named after the outstanding Russian scientist Alexander Aleksandrovich Maximov, one of the founders of modern hematology and cell therapy.

A.A. Maksimov was born on February 17, 1874 in St. Petersburg, in a merchant family. After graduating from gymnasium with a gold medal in 1891, he entered the Imperial Military Medical Academy. After graduating with honors from the Academy, A. Maximov stayed there as a doctor for skill improvement and at the same time he continued to work at the Department of Pathological Anatomy. At the end of 1903 A. Maksimov was elected as a professor of the Department of Histology and Embryology of the Military Medical Academy.

At the same time he published a two-volume guideline “The Basics of Histology”, which still remains a handbook for each histologist not only in Russia, but also abroad.

Unfortunately, the political situation in Russia in the 1920s did not allow the work to continue, and in 1922 A. Maksimov emigrated to the USA, where he continues his scientific work and becomes professor of anatomy at the University of Chicago.

A.A. Maksimov in many ways predetermined the direction of the development of world science in the field of cell biology. His works have become world scientific classics and to date remain one of the most cited among the works of domestic and foreign researchers.

By the decision of the Academic Council of the National Pirogov Medical Surgical Center from June 22, 2005, the department was named after Alexander Aleksandrovich Maximov.

The first chief of the department and the first chair of the department of hematology and cell therapy was Professor Novik Andrey Arkadievich.

Andrey Arkadievich Novik (27.02.1952-11.07.2011)

Andrey Arkadievich Novik was born on February 27, 1952 in Kharkov. After graduating with honors from the S.M. Kirov Military Medical Academy in Leningrad and service in the military unit, he returned to the department of faculty therapy of the Military Medical Academy, which in 1990 received the name of the Department of Hematology and Clinical Immunology. The whole of his subsequent multifaceted scientific, clinical and pedagogical activity was closely associated with the department for almost 25 years, where he passed from post-graduate student to the chief of the department. The main areas of clinical, scientific and pedagogical activity of Andrei Arkadievich were associated with various subspecialties of therapy: hematology, oncology, transplantology, clinical immunology, rheumatology, nephrology, hepatology, palliative medicine. Since 2003, Andrei Novik Arkadievich Novik has been working in the National Pirogov Medical Surgical Center.

Since 2012, the department is headed by Doctor of Medical Sciences Professor Melnichenko Vladimir Yaroslavovich.

The department of hematology, chemotherapy and bone marrow transplantation has modern medical equipment that allows to complete full and rapid diagnosis of oncological diseases, blood system diseases and other pathological conditions of immune system. The equipment of the department allows providing both traditional therapy of diseases (chemotherapy, immunotherapy, combined methods of treatment) and treatment with the use of advanced medical technologies, including bone marrow transplantation. The department annually carries out more than 100 bone marrow transplantations on patients with various diseases of the blood system, as well as autoimmune diseases of the nervous system (multiple sclerosis), connective tissue (rheumatoid arthritis, systemic lupus erythematosus, systemic scleroderma) and digestive system pathologies (Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis ).

The main directions of the department’s work are:

Diagnostics of diseases of the blood system, malignant neoplasms.

Chemotherapy, high-dose chemotherapy, targeted therapy, immunotherapy for:

  • Non-Hodgkin’s lymphomas
  • Lymphogranulomatosis (Hodgkin’s disease)
  • Chronic lymphocytic leukemia
  • Acute leukemia
  • Myelodysplastic syndrome
  • Multiple myeloma
  • Trobocitemia
  • Polycythemia
  • Solid tumors (breast cancer, stomach cancer, colorectal cancer, lung cancer, etc.)

Bone marrow transplantation (stem blood-forming cells) for:

  • Non-Hodgkin’s lymphomas
  • Lymphogranulomatosis (Hodgkin’s disease)
  • Multiple myeloma
  • Solid tumors
  • Autoimmune pathology of the nervous system, connective tissue and digestive organs

Department of bone marrow transplantation is equipped in accordance with international standards:

  • Aseptic boxes — separate chambers equipped with special air and water purification systems designed for bone marrow transplantation in a wide range of diseases (lymphomas, myeloma, leukemias, lymphogranulomatosis, etc.), treatment of patients with severe immune system disorders, which reduce the risk of infectious contamination patient with microorganisms.
  • The water and air purification systems installed in the department of bone marrow and stem cell transplantation ensure a constant supply of sterile air and water and are an integral part of aseptic boxes.
  • Cytapheresis systems — high-technology devices for collecting stem hemopoietic cells, red blood cells and other blood elements necessary for bone marrow and stem cell transplantation in a wide range of diseases.

Diseases

  • Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphomas
  • Lymphogranulomatosis (Hodgkin’s disease)
  • Chronic lymphatic leukemia
  • Acute leukemia
  • Myelodysplastic syndrome
  • Multiple myeloma
  • Thrombocythemia
  • Polycythemia
  • Lung cancer

Contact Information

Address: 105203, Moscow, Nizhnyaya Pervomayskaya str., 70
Contact phone number: +7 (499) 464-03-03
Fax:
+7 (499) 463-65-30

How to reach us by using public transport

“Pervomaiskaya” metro station (last carriage of the train out of the city centre). From “Pervomaiskaya” metro station by any tram or trolley bus go to the stop “15th Parkovaya Street”. Go along the 15th Park Street to the intersection with the Nizhnyaya Pervomaiskaya Street, turn left and walk about a hundred meters to the entrance of the Pirogov Center.