Chief neurologist: Vinogradov Oleg Ivanovich, M.D., Ph.D., chair of the department of neurology with a course of neurosurgery.
Acting chief of department: Mushba Astanda Vasilievna, M.D., neurologist.
What do we treat
The use of time-tested approaches in combination with modern methods of examination, treatment and prevention of neurological diseases recognized by the world professional community, a comprehensive individual approach to the patient, active interaction with physicians of related specialties, aspiration to achieve maximum success in the treatment of each patient is a hallmark of the department’s work.
Doctors of the neurology department have scientific degrees and most of them have the highest category.
Doctors of the of neurology department regularly undergo internships in leading clinics in the USA, Germany, Austria, Great Britain, Israel, Spain, Portugal.
In the neurology department, patients with the whole spectrum of neurological pathology are assisted:
- Ischemic stroke
The department provides acute stroke treatment, thrombolytic therapy (thrombolysis), thromboembolic extraction, complex neurofunctional and vascular diagnostics. The doctors of the department developed special programs aimed at identifying the risk factors for stroke, establishing the mechanism of stroke, selecting individual regimens of therapy that protect both from the first developed and repeated violations of the cerebral circulation.
- Hemorrhagic stroke
Complex diagnostics, selection of basic therapy and therapy for prevention of repeated strokes, taking into account identified risk factors and mechanisms of stroke development, are conducted. The tactics of treatment are determined together with the doctors of related specialties — neurosurgeons, endovascular surgeons.
We provide complex diagnostics, treatment of chronic vascular diseases of the brain, selection of therapy for the prevention of cardiovascular complications (strokes, heart attacks), taking into account identified risk factors.
- Cognitive disorders (vascular dementia, Lewy body dementia, Alzheimer’s disease)
Determination of the causes and mechanisms of the development of cognitive disorders, followed by the selection of therapy aimed at slowing the progression of the disease and improving the quality of life of the patient.
- Demyelinating diseases of the central nervous system (multiple sclerosis, disseminated encephalomyelitis)
During the exacerbation, plasmapheresis methods, pulse-therapy with glucocorticosteroids are used, during remission — disease-modifying therapy.
- Demyelinating diseases of the peripheral nervous system (Guillain-Barre syndrome, chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy)
The methods of plasmapheresis, remyelinization therapy.
- Parkinson’s disease
Individual therapy aimed at slowing the progression of the disease and improving the quality of life of the patient.
The use of botulinum toxin type A is applied in the treatment of post-stroke, post-traumatic spasticity, torticollis, blepharospasm. Installing a baclofen pump is an option for patients with generalized spasticity.
- Back pain
Diagnosis aimed at determining the cause of back pain (MRI of the spine, electroneuromyography), individual selection of a complex of therapeutic measures.
- Vertigo (syndrome of the vertebral-basilar arterial system, benign paroxysmal positional vertigo, vestibulopathy)
Identification of the causes of headaches, selection of individual therapy regimens.
With the use of the capabilities of the Electroencephalographic (EEG) monitoring laboratory, combined with the methods of radiation diagnostics, a comprehensive approach is being implemented to identify the causes of epilepsy, to localize the epileptic focus, which allows to determine the individual mode of anticonvulsant therapy, and in patients with pharmacoresistant epilepsy, together with neurosurgeons, to develop a surgical treatment tactics.
- Myasthenia gravis
A comprehensive examination, individual selection of therapy aimed at coping with acute conditions, selection of a regimen of therapy to slow the progression of the disease and improve the quality of life of the patient.
- Trauma of the brain, spinal cord, peripheral nervous system
A complex of diagnostic measures is carried out to determine the scope and nature of traumatic injury, the choice of individual treatment tactics.
- Insomnia, obstructive sleep apnea syndrome
In the somnological laboratory, complex diagnosis and treatment of sleep and snoring disorders is carried out. Pulse oximetry, cardio-respiratory monitoring, polysomnography are performed. Based on the results of the survey, CPAP-therapy is selected under the guidance of a somnologist, individual selection of medication therapy taking into account the concomitant pathology.
- Atrial fibrillation
On the basis of the department there is an office of anticoagulant therapy, where the patients with atrial fibrillation, after surgical interventions on the heart (valve prosthetics) are treated and observed.
Methods of diagnosis and treatment
The neurology department has a wide range of diagnostic capabilities that allow patients to undergo comprehensive diagnosis within a few days to determine the diagnosis of individual treatment regimens and a set of preventive measures aimed at reducing the risk of recurrence of the disease and improving the quality of life.
One of the priorities of the neurology department is the treatment and prevention of stroke.
Vascular studies (together with the department of radionuclide and functional diagnostics)
- Ultrasound duplex scanning of brachiocephalic vessels
- Triplex scanning of the arteries of the Willis circle with registration of microembolic signals
- Echocardiography (ultrasound of the heart)
Diagnosis and correction of sleep disorders
- Computer pulse oximetry
- Cardio-respiratory monitoring
- CPAP therapy
Treatment with botulinum toxin type A
- Gemifascial spasm
- Post-traumatic and post-traumatic spasticity of the extremities
- Spasmodic torticollis
- For patients who have been taking anticoagulant therapy for atrial fibrillation for a long time, after prosthetic heart valves, in connection with valvular heart disease
Doctors of the anticoagulant therapy room will help to:
- Carry out an individual selection of anticoagulant, taking into account a preliminary assessment of the risk of thromboembolic complications, bleeding, assessment of kidney function, according to international scales (CHA2DS2-VASc, HAS-BLED, creatinine clearance according to the Cockcroft-Gault formula)
- Determine the regimen of administration and dose of anticoagulant
- Carry out a correction of the regimen of intake and dose for routine or emergency surgery, when evaluating the drug interaction, with the development of bleeding
- To carry out the control of a functional condition of kidneys, a liver on a background of long reception of anticoagulant therapy
Address: 105203, Moscow, Nizhnyaya Pervomayskaya str., 70
Contact phone number:
How to reach us by using public transport
“Pervomaiskaya” metro station (last carriage of the train out of the city centre). From “Pervomaiskaya” metro station by any tram or trolley bus go to the stop “15th Parkovaya Street”. Go along the 15th Park Street to the intersection with the Nizhnyaya Pervomaiskaya Street, turn left and walk about a hundred meters to the entrance of the Pirogov Center.